Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Definition of a hero


Memorial Day was this past weekend and it made me think of my friends in the military, and the word hero. When I was going through my chemo & radiation treatment some of my friends said that I was brave, courageous and their hero.
I know I wasn't any of those things.
The real heroes are those who serve in our armed forces. Friends like Rob McGinn, Jeff Nelson, Bob Brown, Tom Clough, Brian Cummings, Rob McCoy, most of whom I had gone to high school with, who have served for our country.
Soldiers like my friend Lt.Commander Owens Walker, who was in the Pentagon on 9/11, he got out, when some friends of his did not, went back and said his bookbag and filofax had melted to the floor.
Soldiers like Justin Paton, who I worked with for a brief time at a local restaurant, who went to Iraq and did not come back.
Dictionary.com defines hero as a (man) of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds or noble qualities.
The next time you go out and enjoy a movie or go shopping or just wake up in the morning, remember freedom isn't free, and remember who the real heroes are.
Listen to me on the Vic McCarty show from 10am-Noon eastern time on wmktthetalkstation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment