Friday, June 5, 2009

Whatever gets you through the day....

Recently I was interviewed on a radio show to talk about how positivity kept me going during my treatment and survivorship. Like most survivors, I assume, I got through it using whatever I could to get me through the day. Humor, sports (mainly hockey) movies, friends, etc all that got me through. I am positive I would say 98% of the time (look out if you are around me for that dreaded 2%.)

I stay positive even though it seems like I have a hard time remembering things. Leave it to me again to acquire side effects after chemo. This is particularly hard for me because my memory is usually sharp as a tack. Now when some people ask me questions, even just the simplest ones I struggle to find the answer. My doc says that this will go away in time, ah yes this too shall pass.I know, a war was waged in my body and I fought and won, and this is all collateral damage from the drugs that were used to kill the cancer. I guess the hardest part is that look that people give you when you are searching for the answer to a simple question, and, if the person doesn't know you, they look at you like you are stupid.

This is part of the new me, for now. It is frustrating, and difficult, but I know, slowly I am getting back to normal, or as close as I can get to the old me.

So I stay positive, still, even though I see friends of mine and can't remember their names for the life of me, and trivia, which used to come to me like a breeze is missing from the computer in my brain. How can I stay positive? I don't know. I guess I don't know any other way to be.

Mel is the producer of The Vic McCarty Show. Listen Monday-Friday 10am-noon eastern standard time on wmktthetalkstation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment